Saturday, October 22, 2005

my new swimming pool


after scouting out many of the thermal baths and swimming pools throughout budapest and surrounding areas, i think i have found my favorite--Széchenyi fürdo. It is not over the top touristy, and it's a good mix of indoor and outdoor (which they keep open all year round) swimming facilities and thermal baths. Today i braved the cold weather, gray skies and drizzle, the kind of day that typically makes me want to hide under the covers and read all day, but i ventured to the pool with my new swim cap in hand. First I swam in the outside lap pool (see photo above) with my new red and blue swim cap, looking quite marvelous and swimming quite fast I must say. Unfortunately the length of the lap pool is much longer than Mom and Dad's or the pool at Duke, so I did not have the opportunity to push off the walls every fifth stroke. Actually, because the ends of the pools are steps I had NO opportunity to push off. Oh well, whatever hurts you only makes you stronger, right--and at least i had my aerodynamic (or is that hydrodynamic?) swim cap on.


After the swim i jumped into the warm thermal bath.

once i bone up on my chess skills, master the Danish Gambit (1. e4 e5 2. d4 exd4 3. c3 dxc3 4. Nxc3) and gather all of the kahunas that i have, I plan on challenging the guy in the yellow cap.

If you want to watch a quick little film (45 seconds or so) of the pool, click below. I didnt put any witty, or otherwise, audio with it, next time i make a film ill work on that---just starting to figure out all of this techie stuff out, uploading onto the site etc.

Széchenyi Fürdo

It may take a couple of minutes to download from the site. More exciting film clips to come......i feel the blossoming of my independent film making career.

1 Provocations:

At 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Betsy,
Is it required that you wear a swim cap, or is that just the custom? Do you wear it in the pool, but not the thermal baths? The pictures remind me of how people looked at pools when I was a pre- teen. It was very shocking when women started to not wear bathing caps. The rationale was that their hair would clog the drains. For some reason men's hair was thought not to cause clogs.
The history lesson was also very interesting. I was 9 in 1956 and can vaguely remember something happening . What I most remember was that it was frightening. Those were the days of the duck and cover drills to prepare us for a nuclear attack. Obviously we would believe anything if we believed that our desks would protect us from a nuclear attack. It doesn't surprise me that my generation came up with the slogan "Never trust anyone over thirty" -- something I still cling to.
Mary Beth N.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


The Number of Times Betsy Has Checked Her Own Blog